News:

Stand Up Paddling, Foil, SUP Foiling, Foil Surfing, Wing Surf, Wing Surfing, Wing Foiling.  This is your forum!

Main Menu

Little kid flat water board

Started by DurhamSUP, July 30, 2012, 10:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DurhamSUP

So I was out on the lake this weekend with a friend and his 7 year old daughter. She was on a surf sup and doing fine, but the board was just way too wide for her. We started talking about a flat water board that would be smaller, narrower, and lighter for a small kid. I know some of the companies are making boards for kids, but they are not cheap and seem to be geared to bigger kids. So could a kid in the 50 -70 pound range do better on a small displacement board. Let's find out.
Board is 8'6" 25" wide 4.5" thick , 12: tail.
...more to follow.

Bulky

If I lost 180lbs, could I be your kid? 

How it works remains to be seen.  One thing's for sure.  That kid will never be happy with a pop-out for the rest of her life!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Celeste

Very cool, kudos for giving it a shot for her, I know how excited I would be to have a friend of my dad make something for me.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Wpgsup

Awesome, I got another 6+ years to get decent at this and then cam make my son one.
Looking forward to nice build thread full of pictures  ;)

D

SUP Viking

Thats great!

We just got some new boards in from a Japanese manufacturer trying to come up in the SUP world.

This is the one kids board we have in the lineup.

Sawarna 9'0" X 26' I jump on it every now and then just because its too much fun!

"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

DurhamSUP

I should get the lam coat on tonight, so I'll get more pics.
I am a little concerned that I went to narrow and 25" might be a little tippy. According to boardCAD it is about 125 liters. There will be a few kids that will end up using this board and the largest is close to 100 lbs.  I hope I didn't go to small.

Oki Surf and SUP, The Sawarna board looks nice. How do the kids like the smaller board? Any issues with stability?

kneecap

I think you'll be fine at 25" on width. My kid paddles a Costco surfboard 8' x22" all day and he weighs about 80 lbs. My friend's daughter's race board (also 8 years old) is 25" as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TortillaSUP

When a family member wishes to take up paddling, you must look at your quiver and figure out whether they need a super skinny race board or a radical surf shape  ;D

flatspell

is that foam xps? it looks blue

SUP Viking

Quote from: DurhamSUP on July 31, 2012, 05:42:15 AM
I should get the lam coat on tonight, so I'll get more pics.
I am a little concerned that I went to narrow and 25" might be a little tippy. According to boardCAD it is about 125 liters. There will be a few kids that will end up using this board and the largest is close to 100 lbs.  I hope I didn't go to small.

Oki Surf and SUP, The Sawarna board looks nice. How do the kids like the smaller board? Any issues with stability?

They aren't BAD. But the company has a looooong way to go before they are making a solid product. For the price its good enough for beginners. No issues with stability, the kids absolutely enjoy every minute of it and love to tackle a bit of chop. I forgot to add its 4 3/4" thick.

DurhamSUP

update....
If possible, she wanted some lime green in the board to match her kialoa adjustable paddle. So who doesn't like resin tint an cut laps.  ;D The white mixed with the green a bit much and I didn't get the contrast that I wanted, but it doesn't look too bad. Deck lam and fill coats up next.

flatspell, It's just plain white 1.5# eps. one of my side lights has a heavy blue hue and it shows up blue on the camera.

SUP Viking

Wpgsup

Looks really nice and I am amazed  :o at how clean and tidy your workspace is! Not a single thing in the background of a any pictures wow

DurhamSUP

Wpgsup, Here's some more progress pics. This is just the fill coat. ...and yes, keep the garage clean. Your epoxy will be much happier.

Celeste

Man, if it works like it looks, she is going to love that.

Obfuscation through elucidation

Recent Posts

September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM

Recent Topics

topic
lazymodo
September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM
topic
B-Walnut
July 31, 2024, 11:06:34 PM
topic
kitesurferro