News:

Stand Up Paddling, Foil, SUP Foiling, Foil Surfing, Wing Surf, Wing Surfing, Wing Foiling.  This is your forum!

Main Menu

Latest XPS Evolution: Orange Crush

Started by Beasho, June 06, 2024, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beasho

I keep posting these builds hopefully to motivate others to see where 'we' can push the limits of board designs.

8' 8" x 19" x 128.6 liters  10 lbs 11.3 oz  / 4.9 kg  HL = 8.3 lbs / 100 Liters

Beasho

This ended up among the lightest design structure in the world for any foil board as measured by pounds per 100 liters.  When Elon Mush built the first commercial rocket company in history he observed:

"If you're not adding things back in at least 10% of the time, you're clearly not deleting enough. . . the bias will be to add things 'in case', "but you can make 'in case' arguments for so many things."

Design is as follows:
•   XPS Core closed cell waterproof – Density 1.45 lbs / cubic foot
•   Center of Buoyancy measured with Naked Blank
        o   Estimated CG ended up 1.5" behind Center of Buoyancy aka balance point with tracks
•   10" Box centered 9.3" behind estimated CG  (Note CG did not move after lamination)
        o   Box centered 10.8" behind Center of Buoyancy
        o   Reinforced with 11 Vertical Carbon Arrow shafts deck to deck
•   2 ½" x 8.9 oz Full length Unidirectional Carbon Stringer Top and Bottom
•   3 x 5.8 oz Carbon Deck – Triaxial layup 30 / 60 / 90 degree bias
•   1 layer 3.7 oz S-Glass Bottom
•   1 layer 2.2 oz Kevlar nose and tail
•   1 x 1.5" x 3.7 oz S-Glass Strip on Front Rails for paddle protection

I kept a record of all time and materials.  Total time was 62.5 hours, Materials cost $460 + $15 for Breather and $10 of Blue Masking Tape + $15 . .  call it = $500 

Beasho

Full record of Time and Steps involved.

I am not sure of the commercial Viability of XPS but I know:

1) It will never gain weight as it ages
2) You can shape it relatively easily
3) If you DON'T make it waterproof it will NOT delaminate (a lot of counter positives in that statement)
4) Treat the design like a foamie and the inherent strength of the XPS will work in your favor allowing for a light final product

SUPladomi

Awesome work Beasho! If I were more handy, I would definitely try your board construction.

Subber

Excellent presentation...really enjoyed watching it.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375"x28.5"x17.25"x 4.25," 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

burchas

Fantastic job Beasho. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding Commercial viability of XPS seems like Appletree is doing very well with their variant of XPS.
If I'm not mistaken, at least one model of Blue Planet foil boards include an XPS or similar core.

All my boards in the past 4 years were made with XPS core.

This dude http://www.newind.net took it even one step further. Increased potential wieght saving.
No doubt a bitch to produce without CNC but maybe you can make a hot-wire variant to speed-up the process?
in progress...

Dontsink

Quote from: burchas on July 08, 2024, 07:31:34 AMFantastic job Beasho. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding Commercial viability of XPS seems like Appletree is doing very well with their variant of XPS.
If I'm not mistaken, at least one model of Blue Planet foil boards include an XPS or similar core.

All my boards in the past 4 years were made with XPS core.

This dude http://www.newind.net took it even one step further. Increased potential wieght saving.
No doubt a bitch to produce without CNC but maybe you can make a hot-wire variant to speed-up the process?

I hollow my XPS blanks by hand.It is a royal pain but it does lighten the board and specially the ends.They ride sweet.

4.1 kg for a 75ltr 5.9 x 17
Blank went from 2450gr to 1920gr when hollowed(530gr saving).It makes tge average density go from 32 or 33 kg/m3 (XPS standard) to about 26 kg/m3.

2.7 kg for the 38ltr 6 x 17
Blank went from 1220gr to 1020gr when hollowed.Savings of a measly 200gr...but they "feel" like more IMHO.

Couple a light build with good foilbox placenent and a board becomes magic to ride.Super responsive even with 6feet lenght or more.
My foilbox position is pretty much identical to Beasho's , i place the middle of my tracks 30.5cm behind the CenterOfBuoyancy of the blank.

https://mega.nz/folder/wXxQUYwL#FJfgjkzz09k2j_6g8RThKQ

Beasho

Great Stuff Guys!

Orange Crush is still going.  110 sessions later.  It worked fantastically in the US East Coast.  aka 1.5 - 5 feet @ 7 seconds all summer long with the Axis 1401 (90% of the time), Axis 1201 (7% of the time) and Axis 1121 (3% of the time). 

With regards to the approach and weight of the XPS builds it appears as though people are still using traditional, waterproof, thicker lamination layers.  XPS can be its lightest with thin skin vs. coring the hull.  Target 8.5 to 9 lbs per 100 liters.

PS: Made the cover of the Providence Journal with the Orange Crush

Recent Posts

September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM

Recent Topics

topic
Beasho
September 21, 2024, 06:59:45 PM
topic
lazymodo
September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM
topic
B-Walnut