News:

Stand Up Paddling, Foil, SUP Foiling, Foil Surfing, Wing Surf, Wing Surfing, Wing Foiling.  This is your forum!

Main Menu

Suggest new ankle leash for larger SUP+me combo please

Started by oceanAddict, October 04, 2024, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanAddict

My OceanAndEarth ankle leash unexpectedly died yesterday and I need a new leash for surfing. I'm around 210 lbs on no-breakfast days and surf mostly Sunova Pointbreak. So I need something solid. Amazon is full of crap, and doesn't let me sort it meaningfully.
So I'm open to suggestions?

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Subber

I've used several 8mm or 5/16ths diameter cords with very good success - both
from well known brands, and no-name brands from Ebay.

Usually, for me, what breaks is not the cord but the attachment to/from the cord or,
hmmm, I think more often the swivel breaks.

Now that I think about it, I've not had an issue in several years. 

Gotta laugh...I hate Amazon searching also - so frustrating - same with AliExpress.
Crap database programs - on purpose, I'm sure.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375"x28.5"x17.25"x 4.25," 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Dusk Patrol

FCS has a big wave leash, as does Dakine. I have the Dakine, and it's pretty beefy. Too beefy for my needs really.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; SB Longboard SUP 9'x26" (used for prone)

oceanAddict

Thank you guys, was able to find FCS that would be delivered just before Monday's swell!
And interesting enough the one I had was not a thickest one - just regular 1/4', 6.5 mm. It must be my previous one was thinner :D

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Beasho

Make your own leashes: When I was SUP'ing in big waves I was breaking 2 leashes per year and got tired of buying $35 to $50 leashes everytime when the cuff and other parts were still good.

I have found that this cord at McMaster Carr works for small conditions 5/16" diameter.  Part number: 3961T3.  Go 3/8" if you want stronger. 

Leash Material here:  https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/1823/3961T3

Use this knot to hand tie a loop.  Add a swivel, I have been using 500 lbs ball bearing fishing swivels (cost ~$4 per but last forever, aka reuse forever).   I have not purchased a new leash for 10 years and am still using all the terminal tackle parts from my old leashes.  Just swap out the cord when I gets 'rusty'. 

Knot here: "Double Sheet Bend".  I use 500 lbs paracord ~ 24", doubled as the YELLOW line to make a LOOP attached to the end of the Polyurethane (Red Line).