News:

Stand Up Paddling, Foil, SUP Foiling, Foil Surfing, Wing Surf, Wing Surfing, Wing Foiling.  This is your forum!

Main Menu

Peeling Clear coat on older Starboard Sprint

Started by bradweiser, August 22, 2024, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradweiser

I've got an older Starboard Sprint where the clear coat is peeling off. It will literally flake right off with my fingernail in the worst spots.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning up the board to not only get it looking somewhat decent, but to ensure it's protected from the elements a bit better than it's current condition? Thanks!

Dusk Patrol

My first thought was elements = sun but you're in Canada so maybe the wetter and colder elements?

The easiest would be to adjust your perspective and admire the patina, like car collectors :)

Otherwise you could sand at fine grit to remove the failing top coat (maybe wet sand as well).

(Starboard already sanded the underlying paint layer down to a minimum.)

Then respray with a couple coats of good spray can clear coat.

Then wet sand that.

That's what I would do if I had a few winter nights to kill.

And that's just using my imagination. There are people on here that actually know what they're doing. 

And if stored outside, a cover will go a long way of course.

Nice board! 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; SB Longboard SUP 9'x26" (used for prone)

bradweiser

Thanks for the reply. The board spent most of its life down in California and I'm assuming it was stored unprotected outside in the sun resulting in all the fading and peeling. The board now gets stored inside.

Those were my thoughts too (light sand and then clear coat). Repainting the board would be kinds cool, but I'm not a painter and am really not interested in adding any extra weight.

surfcowboy

This sounds right. But get the 2 part spray clear. Way more durable.

Dusk Patrol

Wet sand with 400. Confirmed.

This inspired me to work on a Starboard Hyper Nut that the seller had stored on a boat deck, uncovered.

Wet sanding with 400 grit erased the failing clearcoat. Immediate gratification.

It was on Starboard's unpainted innegra rail, but I think you could finesse removal of a painted surface, especially since the paint is intended to be half sanded off in the carbon construction.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; SB Longboard SUP 9'x26" (used for prone)

bradweiser

Nice job! That looks great! I started working on the clear by wet sanding also using a 400 grit sand paper. It's working out well but is time consuming on this board. This might end up being a winter project. Some of the paint was coming off with the sanding, so I might switch to a finer sand paper.

Recent Posts

September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM

Recent Topics

topic
lazymodo
September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM
topic
B-Walnut
July 31, 2024, 11:06:34 PM
topic
kitesurferro
July 30, 2024, 10:05:22 AM